10 Tips to Get Your Home Ready for Spring
Spring is finally here!
While we’re all ready to enjoy the nicer weather and watch the snow melt away, there are a few things every homeowner should do to prepare for spring to prevent costly repair bills further down the line. Here are 10 useful tips to make sure your home is ready for spring and all it brings.
- Inspect your roof. Repair any damage caused by snow, ice, or winds to prevent leaks during spring showers and storms.
- Clean your gutters. Regularly check and clear debris from your gutters and downspouts and consider having a gutter protective device installed on your gutters. This will prevent water from overflowing and reduce the risk of water damage.
- Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Change the batteries in these devices and test all of them to ensure they’re in proper working order.
- Stop leaks. Check the seals around your windows and doors for cracking or hardening of caulk.
- Beware of trees. Visually inspect trees for damage or rot that may have occurred over the winter. Remove any dead or unhealthy trees that could fall in heavy winds and recommend the same to your neighbors, especially if trees could fall on someone else’s property.
- Clean your A/C units and change the filters. Clean and replace your heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) filters. A dirty filter can spread dust and other particles throughout your home and will force your system to work harder, which can be costly and inefficient.
- Inspect wires. Check for frayed wires, loose outlets or cracked plugs. Make sure no cords or outlets are overloaded and are always surge protected.
- Touch up the lawnmower. Change the oil on your lawnmower and sharpen the blades
- Repair cracks. Create a safer walking and driving area by filling in and fixing cracks in your driveway or sidewalk. Report large potholes to your town or city to be repaired.
- Prevent water damage. Check connecting pipes and hoses on all water appliances (e.g., dishwashers, laundry, sinks and toilets) for cracks, leaks or dampness.