Mold is a fungus caused by excess moisture that can be damaging to your home, as well as a significant health hazard. Though most molds grow outdoors to breakdown plant and animal matter, they can travel inside by way of open windows and doors, air conditioning systems and on pets, clothing and shoes. Once inside your home, mold needs a moist food source, such as lint, ceiling tiles or wallpaper to grow.
Mold can look like spots and can be many different colors. If you see or smell it, remove it;